Bayswater Primary School, School No. 2163, was officially established and opened by the Education Department on the 30th June, 1879.
It was a wooden building of four rooms, 30 feet by 18 feet, and was at that time known as North Scoresby State School.
The children walked many miles barefoot, or rode their ponies bareback to school. From their classroom, they could see the bark huts and log cabins that were their homes.
The bush around them teemed with wildlife and rang with the sounds of axes and falling timber as the land was cleared for farming.
Drovers manned their herds and flocks, and teamsters cussed their bullocks that hauled heavy loads along the rough roads. At lunchtimes, the children roamed through the bush or swam nude in the clear waters of Dandenong Creek. On the 20th March, 1890, the name of the school was changed to Bayswater Primary School.